This time last year (Jan 22nd, 2013), I was 5 weeks away from writing out my first Afghanistan Memory Wall.
- I had never fully written out the wall.
- I didn’t even have the wall fully memorized
- I didn’t have a WALL
- I had NO IDEA how to get a wall made
I had 2 things:
1. A belief it could be done and I had been training to do it for 9 months
2. The City of Ft Worth had placed their faith in me that I could do it and agreed to give me space Feb 28, 2013
Other than that I had nothing. I had gone to the city offices in Ft Worth and handed them a book and said, ‘Pick a number between 1 and 1000’. They said a number and I said the name of the fallen hero in my book under that number. That coupled with some of my tv appearances was all they needed to believe I could do it.
Fast forward one year. On this date January 22nd, 2014 I have 5 wall events already scheduled!
- NASCAR race Kansas Speedway May 9-10
- NASCAR race New Hampshire Speedway July 11-13
- NASCAR race Atlanta Motor Speedway Aug 30-31
- NFL Football game Oakland Raiders Nov 2014
- Armed Forces Bowl Dec 2014
There is no doubt in my mind that we will surpass the total number for 2013 (7). I hope to do this 10-15 times in 2014 and continue to honor the troops in a powerful way.
We are still seeking a national sponsor to help with the costs of these wall events. To drive the wall to New Hampshire and back will be $2,000 in gas alone. If you have contacts with a major corporation, tell them that they would get massive exposure. That company then could also make a video like this http://youtu.be/FJK8BPLQFsQ that would surely go viral and also promote their company in a positive way.I promise to keep honoring the fallen as long as my brain is healthy.